Each of us is certainly no stranger to the name betta fish. Moreover, nowadays more and more people have started a betta fish farming business, so we can easily get this type of fish anywhere.
Betta fish is one type of ornamental fish that is easy to maintain. This fish has many fans, so starting a betta fish farming business is a very promising business opportunity, moreover its cultivation is quite easy because it does not require a large area and large capital.
Another advantage of starting a betta fish farming business is that this betta fish has good endurance. The endurance of betta fish minimizes the losses that can be experienced due to dead betta fish. All of this, of course, is a factor in assessing the prospects for betta fish farming.
betta fish business, betta fish business, betta fish business, betta fish cultivation, betta fish, betta fish capital
Initial Capital and Potential Profits for Betta Fish Farming
1. Initial capital to start a betta fish farming business
For those of you who are interested in starting a betta fish farming business, below are the details of the required capital:
A. Initial Capital
• Fish seeds and broodstock for IDR 300,000
• Aquarium : Rp.400,000
• Total capital required Rp.700,000
B. Monthly Expenses
• Procurement of seeds Rp.300,000
• Fish Feed Rp.200,000
• Vitamins, etc. Rp.300,000
• Total expenses in a month Rp.800,000
2. Potential profits of betta fish farming
The potential profit when running a betta fish farming business is quite large. The illustration of the calculation below can give an approximation of this potential.
If we are able to sell 10 fish per day, where the price per betta fish is Rp. 6000, then the calculation is Rp. 6000 x 10 fish = Rp. 60,000. When multiplied by a month’s sales, it means Rp. 60,000 x 30 days = 1,800,000. If you deduct monthly expenses, it means that the total profit earned in a month is Rp. 1,800,000 – 600,000 = Rp. 1,200,000. Please note that the return on investment and breeding period usually takes 3 months.
How to Start a Betta Fish Farm
1. Choose the type of betta fish
Before you start running a betta fish farming business, please note that there are two types of betta fish, namely ornamental betta and fighting betta. The ornamental hickey functions as an ornamental fish with beautiful shapes, colors, and body movements in the water, while the fighting hickey is kept to be competed with other fighting betta fish. My advice is that you should raise ornamental hickeys because they have more fans.
The way to distinguish between ornamental betta fish and fighting hickeys is to pay attention to their shape and movement. The fighting hickey has a more aggressive and fast movement, while the ornamental hickey looks calmer.
2. Betta fish parent selection
The next step when going to run a betta fish farming business is to choose and get quality brooders or fish seeds. Make sure to only choose betta fish breeders from superior breeds and their body condition is fit, free of disease, and congenital defects in the body.
After you get the seeds or betta fish brooders, then just put them into the aquarium or container that has been prepared. Betta fish can survive in jars, used mineral water glasses, or something else. Because, betta fish can live in water even though there is minimal oxygen without the help of an oxygen hose. Put the male and female brooders in separate places.
The characteristics of females and males are as follows:
• Male betta fish have agile movements with wide and broad fins and tail, while females move more slowly with shorter fins and tail
• Male betta fish have a large body shape and bright body color, while the female body is smaller and the body color is a bit dark.
Such is the difference between male and female betta. The next step that needs to be done is spawning betta fish. Before doing so, make sure that the betta brood has entered the gonad mature phase or the ready-to-mate phase. So, it is important for you to know the characteristics of betta fish brooders that are ready to mate.
The characteristics of male betta ready to mate are:
• Has reached the age of 4-8 months
• Body shape is getting long
• The fins have started to elongate
• The color looks more attractive than before
• The movement looks more aggressive and agile than before
The characteristics of female betta ready to mate are:
• Has reached the age of 4-8 months
• The shape of the body looks rounded with a slightly distended stomach
• The fins appear shorter and the color looks a bit dull and unattractive
• Movement slows down
3. Betta fish spawning preparation
When the betta fish are ready to be bred or spawned, A